Wednesday 1 November 2023

Moolt


I am waiting at a railway station with my friend Gee Dee. I am telling him how there are three large ½ figure promotional installations of Star Wars Clone Troopers, each brandishing a laser rifle of some sort, visible from the train. (Did I see them earlier?) We don't exactly eleborate on what they are promoting, just that I have seen them. Gee goes off to make a mobile phone call (to his home to find out how his wife and baby boy(?) are getting on)-

I (re)join Kay Emm and Jay Pee-Enn and we walk together from the platform and enter the small glazed ticket office. As one the three of us shy away from/turn a blind eye to a commotion – it seems like there's an altercation taking place and we'd rather not get involved. Before I move away I sneak a glance – in looks like a rangy girl is stamping on someone lying on the ground while her boyfriend(?) watched with an air of indifference-

I am now conscious of the rangy girl, her mute boyfriend in tow, following me and trying to engage with me – for a moment (as I begin to panic) I am separated from her by a sort of tubular steel upright that supports a little (waiting) table on top. I am not fast enough however, and before I know it the girl has pounced on me and has me pinned to the ground (by somehow crossing over all my limbs and trapping me like a bug). She then accuses me of kicking out backwards at a woman – I see this innocent motion replay in my mind over and over as I puzzle towards the truth, my innocence, questioning myself, 'did I?' - and states that this sort of subtle violence towards women will not go unnoticed, will not go unpunished. With her tangle of short-cropped hair the girl has a curiously ill-defined face, her features are plain and unattractive, her skin spotted and pasty and (something which makes her accusation and aggression all the more frightening) her right eye is perceptibly over closer to her ear than to her nose, giving her lopsided face an oddly blank yet threatening expression-

No comments:

Post a Comment