Wednesday 25 October 2023

Shrydauner


I am together, with Kay Emm, at the singer Shaun Ryder's house/flat. Ryder's brother (not Paul?), a gangly youth of about 18 (with a slightly rough and threatening air about him) and parents (who seem a kindly couple in their mid-to-late 40s?) are also present. (Being the dreamescape Ryder himself is easily in his 50s.)-


We are all waiting for something, something both inside (dinner?) and outside (unknown – nothing but a tense sensation). Shaun is not there that much and we spend most of the time with his younger brother (of whom I'm still somewhat wary in spite of his relaxed manner). I give the brother £30 which is to cover some favour/undertaking he/they have done for myself and Kay Emm. We talk about 'Madchester' and (either I can visualise or) Ryder has lots of photos of record shelves jammed with vinyl. Black and white individual photos of The Stone Roses and The Charlatan's frontman Tim Burgess - one where he's sticking out a huge Jagger-esque Rolling Stones tongue – as well as crude Madchester themed artwork such as lemons have been laminated and inserted as dividers. I am fascinated by this and mention that at the time you could buy Stone Roses collectible 6” figures (that I would have bought) as well as an Action Man sized Ian Brown doll. Shaun's brother did not know this-

It comes time to leave the room but there is suddenly a huge American Cadillac-style car with two people sitting in the front seats (and our luggage in the back?) blocking our exit. Ryder's brother simply manhandles the car up on its end using the rear axle/bumper and tilts/tips it out the (bedroom?) door-

We are now sitting in the front room. Ryder's father is eating a small circular dish of jelly with a Smartie set in the middle and several equally spaced around the edge. I'm sure these puddings are for the “kiddies” but still encourage (a reluctant) Kay Emm to have one for herself – to my mind they are a Polish treat-

I'm quite certain I need to split the £30 I handed over between Ryder and his brother and, by producing approx. £70 in notes from my pocket, hand him £15 (which I seem to think will then be passed to Shaun and all will be settled... Or does the brother give me the £30 back? At this point things get confusing and for the first time there is that first sense of threat and impatience in the air. Shaun, however, is not concerned – he says something about his brother giving him £1500 when offered the £15 by myself. As Shaun just woken up? Kay Emm seems to be very tired/sleeping-

I go into the first room and hunt out a small 'flip' mirror, curved at one end and in a white/ivory coloured plastic case. As I am examining this object Ryder's mother – she has a dark mop of hair, big, honest eyes and an open, jolly but weary face – enters and says something about 'Uncle Vanya' (a play?). I'm not sure what she's referring to – the mirror? - but she is so amused and laughs away. I force myself to join in-

No comments:

Post a Comment