Wednesday 11 October 2023

Kvarvt


I am with a comic book pal Eff See (and just perhaps Aye Ell and Kay Emm, among other people - there's a nagging sensation within the dreamescape that there's a group of us). Eff See bears a huge grudge for some reason or another and has taken a great dislike to an elderly-ish woman who lives on the (main) street where we are all walking. The front of her house resembles a shop more than anything, consisting of two large (display) windows set into a sturdy sandstone surround, a glazed (entrance) door set back from the street a foot or so and centred between them. On either side of the door there is a china/porcelain cat which is posed in a crouch, a Cheshire-ish grin on the rounded, golden striped head and a deep water blue-green finish to the curved, hunched body. In order to express his disdain Eff See lifts one of these ornaments and attempts to smash it. He tries this several times with no success. Having failed to achieve his goal he boots the piece and it skids out into the middle of the road at a junction. We watch a car turn and narrowly miss running over the cat - it is not until we are out of sight that we hear the satisfying (to Eff's ears at any rate) smash of the ornament being crushed-

I have taken the second cat, having spent a considerable amount of time peering in the large windows of the lady's house – they are (reassuringly) dark and, beyond the large ornaments and souvenirs that decorate the perimeter of each window, it is hard to make out anything, let alone if anyone is at home! In spite of my reluctance I eventually jam the second cat between a sturdy stone wall and a signpost, smashing it violently by stamping on it – I'm more doing it out of an anger and frustration at myself for not just doing it sooner as opposed to my half-hearted attempt to emulate Eff's hate. I instantly regret it and am caught in a quandary as to how I can possibly reimburse the woman (by post) for my unwarranted vandalism. I can see the money – to fold or not to fold it? - being slipped into an envelope-

No comments:

Post a Comment