Wednesday 14 August 2024

Gillcleedle


I am with Gee Bee from my work and we are making our way across a somewhat barren landscape – we seem to be on a gentle gravel incline, sloping down from a road/motorway at our backs. To get to our intended (but unknown) destination we then have to cross a vast landscape formed of giant books that are lying with their spines facing upward. It is starting to rain and I am concerned as to how the falling moisture will affect the books. The books seem to momentarily return to normal size and I race through a collapsed heap of them, noting an (auto)biography of the (BBC production of 'House of Cards') actor Ian Richardson. On the cover is a contrasted black and white image of the actor sporting a Georgian wig which has been printed on faded blue/grey paper-


I am now browsing a rack of (plastic covered, ex-library?) hardback books that all seem to be by members of Monty Python's Flying Circus (or at least Monty Python related or themed). The title lettering on each book is rendered in Terry Gilliam's stylised 'Holy Grail' lettering. As I spin this rack I pass books by Tim Piggott (a collaborator?) and Eric Idle, the latter being dismissed somewhat by Terry Gilliam (who now stands beside me). Most fascinating of all is a book tucked away to the back of the (seemingly never-ending) rack. At first I assume it to be a "novel” by both John Cleese and Emily Gilliam (Terry's dreamescape daughter). I take the book out – it has a simple line drawing of the classic desert island humped beach with a solitary palm tree on the cover – and then realise it is by John and Terry Gilliam. I am totally enthused – why have a never heard of this?! I pass it over to Terry and he seems as unaware of its existence as I am. Flicking through it he remarks that the cover was done with a crayon on a roll of paper. Quick as a flash I joke, “the whole book!”. He finds this very funny(?). I continue to joke (in the hope he'll give treasured text back to me) that, given the size of the print, it won't take me long to read it, 2-5 days, a week at most... I suggest Terry takes the book away and reads it, passing it on to me only if he deems it to be not too terrible. Gilliam giggles manically at all of this. His (dreamescape) daughter has materialised and wants him to take it (as I suspect she thinks the book is total rubbish)-

No comments:

Post a Comment