Wednesday 29 May 2024

Tapo


In a similarly sparse environment that formed my last dreamescape, a sort of airless browny/green coloured shopping centre, wide but with low ceilings to the corridors/circulation. It's all very muted and there are no other people around. I am with my mother-in-law and one other person (my brother?). On our right we pass a shop of sorts, the door also to the right, a long, plain window stretching off to our left. The window is full of 60s & 70s styled artwork, not quite as artistic as psychedelic era gig posters, but very bold, often in black and white, with a single, quite striking central image. Many of them make use of (intriguing) science fiction imagery and I am drawn to several of these A4-ish flyers that shamelessly crib from the (original) The Planet of the Apes. One in particular is a black and white image of a soldier ape's head with some brisk and bold lettering above-

I linger outside this shop, admiring the artwork. I go to venture inside but am told (by one for my companions?) that it is in fact a hairdressing salon and that to do so would be a waste of (everyone's) time. In addition it seems that they only do 70s style haircuts and, as if to prove a point, a tall (Japanese anime-esque) woman emerges and immediately engages with me. She sports a huge silvery afro with pieces of 'L' shaped decorative metallic jewellery stuck to her cheek. She is wearing a green bodysuit with a blue bubbled waistcoat-cum-bodywarmer arrangement on top. She has other sci-fi stylings, including knee pads and high, silver boots. A striking black woman, also with a great afro, follows her before another woman (almost identical to the first) exits too-

No comments:

Post a Comment