Wednesday 23 August 2023

Moluvice


I am in the Love Music record shop in Glasgow. Of course, being the dreamescape it bears no resemblance to reality. There are no records - at least not on display - for a start! For the most part my experience focusses on the vast counter. Indeed it's hardly a counter at all, being made up of 2-3 huge and unfurnished plywood sheets that narrows only to the far side (where's there's a bar-flap style access for staff). It's doubtful you could lean across the width of these tops to shake hands with someone-

I'm sure this layout has already altered since the dream began – I had previously being conversing with Bee Jay from my co-work on the decision to buy a pair of earplugs. The plugs, truth be told, resemble hearing aids in every respect, comprising black plastic 'buds' attached to a grey plastic 'curl' that hooks over and round the ear to hold them in place. As they are only £2.95 I/we decide to go for it. Unfortunately when Ess, the shop owner, brings them over for us to see I discover, to my disappointment, that the black earplugs are £6.95 and that the £2.95 price tag applies to a pair of light brown plastic earplugs, shaped much like apple stalks, that (somehow) clip into the larger, more expensive black pair-

As I toil over this (in)decision I become aware of a young hipster-ish guy, all unruly curly hair with a long face and an irritating, knowing expression. He is with his girlfriend and in his attempt to purchase two drinks(?) he is intentionally – although I assume it is accidental at first – jostling me about the knees. Fed up with this ignorant behaviour I face him and challenge him on it. He denies any wrongdoing and suddenly things begin to escalate-

No comments:

Post a Comment