Wednesday 15 February 2023

Yefuld


I am in a car in some remote Dutch hinterland. The window is wound down and I am flirting with the pop singer Rihanna. I'm not sure what we are saying – I'm vaguely aware of calling her (behaviour) crazy. I drive/am driven off and leave her twirling and dancing in the middle of the road, much to the annoyance of the other passing locals (who cannot understand her). Leave her with a wide shot of the barren landscape, save for a small roadside house, the landscape as if filmed from a helicopter-


I turn up late for some meeting, making my apologies and taking a seat. A man of about a similar age to myself, firmly enough built with cropped balding hair on top asks if he can put on some music. He puts on Earth 2 (Special Low Frequency Version). Eventually the man chairing the meeting says that he just cannot stand the endless droning guitars. The other guy apologises and says he will change the record. He proceeds to put on another Earth album – which, in my head is Thrones and Dominions, but with the cover from Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II – and says that it is the same song recorded over and over, but better each time. It certainly has that newer minimal Earth style, the sluggish, spindly minimal guitar and repeating piano motifs. During this I seem to be judging pen and ink drawings that have been submitted (for a competition?) to this gathered committee. The pieces I see - oddly they are pinned to the table top with a single pin, a covering letter(?) on top - are not particularly impressive, being mostly abstract linework with muddy ink washes. I struggle to make out anything that I recognise. (Have I submitted some drawings for this committee/competition too?)-

I am now outside in the street, following two young women. The buildings are 2-3 storeys tall the streets set on a very tight grid with no discernible pavements to speak of. We are very near the shore and there are intermittent pends through which the sea is visible. In fact, the sea often rushes through these pends, threatening to sweep anyone who is caught in its path away. I panic as the two women nearly suffer such a fate. Some of the pends have tall timber slats to prevent this, and at one point I simply stand and look at this scene. I think that my friend Vee Dee is in this area too and am concerned that he has been swept out to sea. I notice that some of the pends have metal shutters that slowly slide down over the slats for a complete seal-

No comments:

Post a Comment