Wednesday 22 February 2023

Uxwallot


In a town street (Largs?). I am passing a simple house garden on my right – a neat square lawn sticks in my mind – and I see (who I think I recognise as) Jay Eff's mother. She is slightly ill-defined and I struggle to make her out, her face/head a blur, reduced to a sweep of wiry blonde (to the point of being white) hair. I am sure it cannot be Mrs Eff as I recall hearing that she had passed away-

I walk on past the gable end of a(nother) house and look over to my right. It has a straightforward window-front door-window elevation to the street, finished in a porridge-grey render. Beyond this the garden continues and I see, from the back, a young woman walking away from me, heading from the house to the shed/garage. She has her blonde hair tied back and I am certain this is Jay Eff herself (a girl from my schooldays) although I never see her face-

I walk on past this scene and turn up a narrow lane, hedged in on both sides. Part of me is worried that this in fact the private access to a neighbouring house but it seems to lead to a small network of allotment-style enclosures. I am standing in the enclosure that belongs to Jay Eff – I am sure of that, spying her father? - and there is some large engine-esque machinery there, thundering away. There are odd, thick stripes of blue paint appearing too-

No comments:

Post a Comment